As the conference draws nearer, updates and more details will become available. The following are some of those details so please check regularly and friend us on Facebook to be up to date on all things 2011 National AAZK Conference.
Update 20 August 2011:
Registration will take place at the Westin Gaslamp Hotel. All times and locations are subject to change.
August 22 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm 1st floor, San Diego Cafe
August 23 7:00 am – 4:00 pm 1st floor, San Diego Cafe
August 24 8:00 am – 5:00 pm 1st floor, San Diego Cafe
August 25 7:00 am – 5:00 pm 2nd level CA Foyer
August 26 7:00 am – 5:00 pm 2nd level CA Foyer
August 27 7:00 am – 5:00 pm 2nd level CA Foyer
August 28 7:00 am – 3:00 pm 2nd level CA Foyer
Presenters will be able to drop off their presentations and posters at our information table.
Room change: all workshops that were in the Presidio room have been moved to the Santa Fe room.
Update 17 August 2011:
Safari Park Icebreaker and San Diego Zoo Day information is available; just click here.
Update 13 August 2011:
Conference Room Rate : $159 per night The hotel has a limited number of double rooms available; if you need two double beds in the room, please book early, and let the hotel know you’d like a double room.
Room rate: Single – $159 Double – $159
Each additional person $20
Hotel rate is now available until August 24, 2011. OUR DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED! Be sure to take advantage of this opportunity! Call (619)692-2704 to make your reservation under the AAZK code.
Update 12 August 2011:
Affordable parking: ACE parking is offering conference delegates $10 in and out parking privileges at the Horton Plaza parking structure located next door to the Westin Gaslamp Hotel. HOW: register your car at the Ace Parking office located in the parking structure on level 3 “Pepper” which is on 4th and F street. ID yourself as guests of the San Diego Zoo. Let them know how many days you will be staying and the attendant will give you a permit to display in your dash. You will be instructed to park in one of their flat surface lots. There will be overflow parking available if needed.
Update 18 July 2011:
Abstracts and additions to schedule now available. Abstracts for the paper presentations, poster, and workshops are now available on our Papers & Posters page.
We have also added 3 extended paper presentations in the afternoons of August 25th and August 28th for you to be a part of.
These extended paper presentations are open to all delegates and provide the opportunity for discussions on various interesting topics. We invite you to join these exciting sessions.
Update 13 June 2011:
Timelines for paper presentations and various events have been added to the daily schedules section of our website. Abstracts will be available soon. Complete papers will be available at a later date on SD AAZK’s conference website.
To reduce the amount of paper used, we invite you to copy only the information you are interested in. SD AAZK WILL NOT have print-outs of papers and posters in your welcome bag. Please be sure to download/copy all the informatiion you will want to have prior to coming to the conference.
Update 4 June 2011:Affordable Parking during the conference: We are working with Ace Parking to give you the best parking rates during the conference. As part of our effort to be green, SD AAZK will be offering 4 day public transportation passes to all delegates. We hope this will minimize your need for a car.
If you will still need a car and therefore a place to park, Ace Parking is offering AAZK Conference attendees 2 parking options:
$10/day overnight parking WITHOUT in and out access. This means you can park your car in a lot that will be located around the corner from our hotel and leave it there for the duration.
$20/day overnight parking WITH in and out access. This will be available at Horton Plaza parking structure located next door to our hotel.
More details will be available early August so please be sure to check back.
Update 29 May 2011:
Revised conference schedules are now posted on our website.
Coming soon will be the schedule of paper presenters.
Update 10 May 2011:
In order to provide you with a greener conference, here are a few things you need to be aware of:
- All sign-ups for workshops, zoo day, and pre/post conference trips are available online. If you have not registered for any, please use your registration confirmation number to do so. Spaces are filling quickly and we want to make sure you are able to participate in everything you can.
- Many of the zoo day Behind the Scenes (BTS) spots have been filled. If you still need to sign up for a BTS, we recommend the Education Tour. It will provide an overall view of the zoo plus visits to 2-3 TBD BTS areas. There is also the Open House at our new Elephant Odyssey and the zebra demo in Urban Jungle that will demonstrate husbandry and training that is being done with our zebra ambassador animal. No sign up needed for either.
- Abstracts and paper/poster write ups will be available online ONLY. This means if you would like a complete write up of papers and posters you are interested in, you will need to print them out on your computer. Writes ups should be available on our website by early July.
- You can offset your carbon footprint by participating in Acres for the Atmosphere. This program will work with the San Diego River Parks Foundation and plant trees along our river. Learn more about the program and how you can participate on our website.
- Bring your own reusable water bottle. In order to reduce the amount of trash generated from the conference, we invite you to bring your own container to be used throughout the conference.
- Transportation updates. We have partnered with United Airlines and all delegates will receive a 5% discount off the lowest available fares. Visit our website for details. We will also be using public transportation during the conference and encourage you to avoid the use of a car. If you will be driving, we are doing our best to find a discounted parking location. Please check back on our website as the time gets closer for details.
- Silent and Live Auctions. We invite you to participate in our auctions by donating and purchasing auction items. The silent auction will be available for viewing all week in a room off of the hospitality suite and will end prior to the final banquet. The live auction will take place during the banquet. Be prepared for bidding and fun!
As more updates become available they will be posted on our Facebook page and website so be sure to join us and learn more. Otherwise, see you in August. And be sure to bring your sunscreen!